Volunteer for United Way
GOALS needs tutors on a regular basis. It is easy to tutor, and it can be done on their premises or at Lamar library. There is a small course and test for tutor to take online.
- Office Assistants: assisting with answering phones, greeting visitors, filing, copying, etc.
- Education tutor/encourager: helping kids one-on-one with homework, school skills, etc.
- Leading enrichment groups or activity with residents
- Music, painting, pottery, crafts, etc.
- Sports skills: basketball, soccer, football, golf, tennis, etc.
- Life skills: cooking, money management, etc.
- Work group projects
- Painting outdoor picnic tables and seating areas around playground
- Building or installing outdoor seating areas on porches and near cottages
- Building an outdoor storage bin for sports equipment
- Smaller landscaping projects
- Adopt-a-Bedroom/bathroom (painting, re-decorating, furniture)
- Adopt-a-room (Living room, Kitchen, laundry room)
Adult Leaders who are working hand in hand with the scouts to make our program successful.
Merit Badge Counselors who teach courses specific to their work field or lives to help scouts earn merit badges.
Family Services of Southeast Texas
- Outreach Events Volunteer
- Kid Connection Volunteer
- Court Accompaniment Volunteer
- Christine’s Resale Shop Volunteer
- Special Event Volunteer
Depending on the nature of the volunteer services, training and/or background checks, as well as confidentiality statements may be required.
The Volunteers that come to the Shorkey Center are so welcomed. We always need something painted, something fixed, yard work, additional mulch for the playground (this is a very expensive endeavor to keep the play grounds covered in mulch. We cannot use volunteers in the classrooms or therapy because of HIPPA rules, but we can certainly use them on weekends to help with clean up.
Southeast Texas Hospice
Southeast Texas Hospice has volunteers make crafts for the patients on a weekly basis.
Volunteers deliver a meal from Larry’s French Market Tuesdays and Thursdays to a patient family
Volunteers work around the office and visit with patients.
*Any volunteers who volunteer with patients must go through a 30 hour training course first.
YMCA of Southeast Texas
YMCA of Southeast Texas is always looking for volunteers in several areas: Board of Directors, Membership/Program Committee, Finance Committee, Youth Sports, Member services (front desk).
We also encourage you to follow our Facebook page to learn more about special event volunteer opportunities as they arise.