Volunteer for United Way
- Office Assistants: assisting with answering phones, greeting visitors, filing, copying, etc.
- Education tutor/encourager: helping kids one-on-one with homework, school skills, etc.
- Leading enrichment groups or activity with residents
- Music, painting, pottery, crafts, etc.
- Sports skills: basketball, soccer, football, golf, tennis, etc.
- Life skills: cooking, money management, etc.
- Work group projects
- Painting outdoor picnic tables and seating areas around playground
- Building or installing outdoor seating areas on porches and near cottages
- Building an outdoor storage bin for sports equipment
- Smaller landscaping projects
- Adopt-a-Bedroom/bathroom (painting, re-decorating, furniture)
- Adopt-a-room (Living room, Kitchen, laundry room)
Adult Leaders who are working hand in hand with the scouts to make our program successful.
Merit Badge Counselors who teach courses specific to their work field or lives to help scouts earn merit badges.
CASA of the Sabine Neches Region
Court-appointed special advocate (CASA) volunteers make a life-changing difference for children who have experienced abuse or neglect.
Each volunteer is appointed by a judge to advocate for a child’s best interest in court. Our volunteers help judges develop a fuller picture of each child’s life. Their advocacy enables judges to make the most well-informed decision for each child.
Who are our volunteers, and how are they prepared?
- CASA volunteers are regular people, from all walks of life, who have been rigorously screened and trained extensively.
- Each volunteer receives more than 30 hours of training before they work with a child, with an additional 12 hours of continued education required annually.
- Volunteers receive ongoing support to help them advocate effectively on a child’s behalf.
- Volunteers must be 21 years or older and willing to submit to background checks.
To learn more or complete an application, visit www.casasnr.org
Family Services of Southeast Texas
- Outreach Events Volunteer
- Kid Connection Volunteer
- Court Accompaniment Volunteer
- Christine’s Resale Shop Volunteer
- Special Event Volunteer
Depending on the nature of the volunteer services, training and/or background checks, as well as confidentiality statements may be required.
GOALS needs tutors on a regular basis. It is easy to tutor, and it can be done on their premises or at Lamar library. There is a small course and test for tutor to take online.
The Volunteers that come to the Shorkey Center are so welcomed. We always need something painted, something fixed, yard work, additional mulch for the playground (this is a very expensive endeavor to keep the play grounds covered in mulch. We cannot use volunteers in the classrooms or therapy because of HIPPA rules, but we can certainly use them on weekends to help with clean up.
Southeast Texas Hospice
Southeast Texas Hospice has volunteers make crafts for the patients on a weekly basis.
Volunteers deliver a meal from Larry’s French Market Tuesdays and Thursdays to a patient family
Volunteers work around the office and visit with patients.
*Any volunteers who volunteer with patients must go through a 30 hour training course first.
YMCA of Southeast Texas
YMCA of Southeast Texas is always looking for volunteers in several areas: Board of Directors, Membership/Program Committee, Finance Committee, Youth Sports, Member services (front desk).
We also encourage you to follow our Facebook page to learn more about special event volunteer opportunities as they arise.